Nine Lessons and Carols for Curious People is Robin Ince’s ground-breaking creation, the original variety night mashing up science, comedy, music and more. This much-loved end-of-year tradition has played to sold-out live audiences for over 15 years, but in 2020 COVID-19 has raised its ugly pandemic head. And so with the live shows unable to go ahead in their usual form, the team behind the shows at The Cosmic Shambles Network were determined to come up with a marvellously unique alternative.
And so they have decided to cram every little bit of creativity and curiosity from all those cancelled events into one phenomenal 24-hour live show! Robin Ince will be there to host this blockbuster of a show for the full 24 hours and audiences will be able to watch live either online from the comfort of their own home or in limited, socially-distanced numbers at Kings Place itself (government guidance permitting). There’ll be plenty of ways for you to be involved to with interactive experiments and competitions as Robin will be joined by a variety of live in person co-hosts mixed with a vast array of incredible guests joining virtually. Expect to see Brian Cox, Helen Czerski, Josie Long, Chris Hadfield, Helen Sharman, Jocelyn Bell Burnell, Jim Al-Khalili, Sharon D Clarke, Tanita Tikaram, Chris Jackson, Rachel Parris, Ben Goldacre, Rachel Long and many, many more.
And don’t worry, it’ll still probably overrun…
Whilst the live-stream will be free to watch we will be encouraging donations to cover the costs of the production and all profits will be split between our chosen charities this year, Doctors Without Borders, Turn2Us, Mind: For Better Mental Health and Kings Place Music Foundation. You can donate now at crowdfunder.co.uk/ninelessons.
For a full and constantly updating list of guest announcements, visit cosmicshambles.com/ninelessons
New guests announced:
• Acclaimed comedian Yianni Agisilaou
• Author and the heart and soul of Australian rock music, Jimmy Barnes
• Immunologist and award winning author Professor Dan Davis
• Multi-platinum selling singer / songwriter Delta Goodrem
• Comedian, author, performer and Python, Robin the Brave himself, Eric Idle
• Award winning comedian, including the Perrier for Best Newcomer, Milton Jones
• Mr Robot and Dispatches from Elsewhere actor Eve Lindley
• Comedian and podcaster Kiri Pritchard-McLean
• Battle of the Sexes and The Meg actress Jessica McNamee
• Multi award winning comedian, writer and presenter Shaun Micallef
• Anthropologist, broadcaster and author Professor Alice Roberts
• Apollo 9 Lunar Module pilot, astronaut Rusty Schweickart
• Inside No.9 and The League of Gentleman’s Reece Shearsmith
• Poet and performance artist Keisha Thompson
Please note that the 2.30pm slot on Saturday 12 December is a Family Matinee.
“The antidote to the ignorance and unkindness sweeping the world.” Chortle
“Long may it continue to brighten our bleak midwinter with the light of reason and silliness.” The Guardian
“Put comedy and science in a test tube and you get this … Ince’s annual celebration of ideas is eclectic, enjoyable and truly epic.” Evening Standard